Cannabis enthusiasts have a variety of options to enjoy their smoked buds.
Although fashionable vaping pens and other fancy technology-based cannabis delivery methods have increasingly captured the spotlight, the classic, low-tech smoking methods – joints, spliffs, and blunts — are still the time-tested gold standard. And for good reason.
Whether you’re rolling up THC-rich cannabis flower or CBD-rich hemp flower, kicking back on a back porch or under a tree at sunset with a friend and a smooth joint, spliff, or blunt is a sublime, social cannabis ritual that’s not going anywhere anytime soon.
Here, we’ll explore the nuanced differences between the three most common types of rolled cannabis.
The Quick Breakdown Chart
For the time-strapped, here’s a brief chart breaking down the key differences between joints, spliffs, and blunts:
Now, let’s get into a little more nuance regarding each.
What’s a joint?
As reggae legends The Toyes (and, later on, Sublime) explained in their lyrics, they infamously smoked two joints in the morning, at night, and in the afternoon because it made them feel alright.
Joints – referred to in antiquity as “marijuana cigarettes” — are historically the most widely used cannabis smoking method. They’re essentially cannabis encased in thin rolling papers.
Most rolling papers are white. But more and more, marketers are offering novelty papers in various colors and flavors such as apple, grape, or chocolate. However, purists often object to such gimmickry because flavored paper can mask or distort the flavor of the cannabis itself.
Sometimes, users prefer to add a filter at the base of the joint – sometimes termed a “crutch” — to provide a buffer between the cannabis and the lips, to offer structural support so the joint maintains its integrity as it burns, and to facilitate an easier grip between the fingers.
Joint artisans frequently prefer to roll their own from scratch, but for the sake of time and convenience, you can also invest in a joint rolling machine. If you’re regularly rolling joints, such a device might be a good investment.
Learn the premium joint-rolling technique courtesy of Rolling Stone:
If you don’t have the time or inclination to roll your own joint, consider Georgia Hemp Company’s signature pre-rolls.
The big advantages of joints are that:
- They’re relatively tiny and portable (you can easily slip them discreetly into a cigarette pack or elsewhere)
- Wide variability in paper size (ranging from “king-size” to “singles”)
- Joint papers are extremely affordable
What’s a spliff?
A spliff is essentially a joint combined with tobacco. In many countries outside of North America where the mixed use of tobacco and cannabis is common, spliffs are the rule rather than the exception.
Many cannabis users appreciate spliffs because of the combined physiological effects of tobacco and cannabis. The relaxation and euphoria of CBD, THC, and other cannabinoids in tandem with the stimulating, invigorating impact of tobacco produce together, according to many users, a pleasant synergistic effect.
It should be noted, though, that tobacco use has multiple documented health risks that are not mitigated by the cannabis. Knowing the risks is especially important for individuals with particular health conditions like high blood pressure, impaired lung function due to asthma or emphysema, or compromised immune systems.
However, adults can make their own decisions regarding risk. If you’re interested in learning how to roll the perfect spliff check out the instructional video below:
Some of the benefits of spliffs relative to joints and blunts include:
- You can titrate your tobacco dosage based on preference by simply adding or subtracting from the cannabis/tobacco ratio
- Flavored tobacco can add an extra dimension
- The tobacco might partially obscure the smell of cannabis if you’re trying to use it on the down-low
What are the best rolling papers for joints?
As a cannabis connoisseur, you’ve got a plethora of joint papers to select from. Ideally, you should look for minimalist papers free of harmful chemicals that enhance, rather than obscure or mask, the natural aroma of combusted cannabis.
In that vein, here are a few choice joint paper brands among chronic cannabis users:
- RAW. Arguably the most popular joint paper brand, RAW papers – as the name suggests – are non-GMO, gluten-free, vegan, chlorine free and contain no additives or dyes.
- Pure Hemp. Pure Hemp’s unbleached papers are about as basic and utilitarian as joint papers get. The papers have a little bit of a thicker consistency than some others, which makes them easier to handle and roll, so they’re also great for joint newbies just learning the craft.
- Juicy Jays. JJ’s are made out of hemp fiber to make for an all-natural experience with a fruity twist. They come in a range of flavor profiles including watermelon, pineapple, and even peanut butter.
What’s a blunt?
Blunts are cannabis rolls wrapped up in a cigar or cigarillo (a short, narrow cigar) wrapping.
Blunts wraps themselves contain tobacco, so there’s no way to avoid it if you go this route. If you’re trying to stay away from nicotine, opt for joint paper instead.
There are two ways to make a blunt. The old-fashioned way is to buy a cheap cigar, slit it long-ways, hollow out the tobacco, and refill with cannabis.
Popular cigarillo brands commonly used to make blunts include:
- Swisher Sweets
The other way to make a blunt is to buy a blunt wrap without pre-filled tobacco specifically marketed to cannabis users.
Here are some key ways that blunts differ from spliffs and joints:
- A bit larger
- Last a little longer
- Tobacco wrapping paper can add a unique twist to the flavor profile
- You typically have a large selection of wrap flavors to choose from
Accessories to invest in for the ideal joint, blunt, or spliff-rolling experience
Several tools and accessories facilitate the rolling and smoking experience. If you’re planning on smoking joints, blunts, or spliffs regularly, you might want to consider making the following investments for your rolling toolkit:
- Scissors (for breaking up buds instead of using your fingers)
- Knife (for the same purpose)
- Grinder (for the same purpose; the most convenient method)
- Joint rolling machines (if you’re an enthusiastic user who rolls on an industrial scale)
- Doob Tubes. If you’re transporting your joints or blunts, these handy gadgets keep your rolls safe and dry in airtight, waterproof containers.
- Georgia Hemp Company merchandise. Look cool and attract like-minded friends while you’re enjoying your joint, blunt, or spliff.
Contact Georgia Hemp Company to learn more about joints, blunts, and spliffs
We’re here to help you get the greatest satisfaction possible from your spliff, joint, or blunt. For hot tips and authoritative advice, please contact us.
We’re always happy to guide newcomers and cannabis veterans alike and point them to best rolling and smoking practices.