WHAT IS CBN?
CBN is considered a “degraded” cannabinoid because it is produced after the breakdown of THC due to oxygen and heat. By this time CBN will become mildly psychoactive, and much less intense than when it was originally THC.
- CBN occurs naturally in the cannabis plant as the plant ages.
- However, just because this cannabinoid isn’t very psychoactive doesn’t mean it isn’t potent. In fact, CBN is the strongest cannabinoid identified for promoting sleep, which makes cannabis rich in CBN an ideal treatment for insomnia
- Indica strains appear to have more CBN than Sativa strains, which would explain the commonly held belief that Indicas make you sleepy and give you a body high.
- CBN is a CB2 and CB1 receptor agonist and may inhibit immune cell functionality.
CBD VS CBN-WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?
They’re touted for their medical benefits.
CBN is not as popular or readily available. This is because there hasn’t been a lot of human or animal research done on the benefits, uses, and side effects. But CBN is slowly gaining popularity for its potential benefits for sleep and pain management.
There is no “high” or any other mind-altering effect from CBD.
On the contrary: CBD on its own has calming effects.
IS CBN PSYCHOACTIVE?
There isn’t currently a definitive answer to this question. Some research indicates CBN is non-psychoactive. Other research says CBN has very mild psychoactive effects. CBN appears to have potentially powerful sedative effects which might explain at least in part the questions about its psychoactive properties.
POTENTIAL HEALTH BENEFITS OF CBN
- Sedative– There are indications that CBN is a powerful sedative. Research in mice has shown that CBN can prolong sleep time. Some research indicates CBN’s sedative effects are amplified when combined with THC. But there is, at this point, a lack of scientific research into the sleep-inducing properties of CBN. I’m hopeful we’ll eventually see some additional scientific studies that explore the sleep-promoting capabilities of CBN.
- Pain reliever– Research indicates that CBN has analgesic or pain-relieving capabilities in the body. CBN appears to influence the activity of neurons that are sensitive to capsaicin. (Capsaicin, you might know, is found in chili peppers, and an ingredient added to many topical pain relievers.) These capsaicin-sensitive nerves are important to the body’s pain signaling and perception.
- Antibiotic– Research shows CBN has the ability to fight bacteria. A 2008 study found CBN one of several cannabinoids (including CBD) effective in treating MRSA, a bacterial infection that is resistant to antibiotics.
- Anti-inflammatory– Like CBD, CBN appears to have anti-inflammatory capabilities. Scientists are working to better understand how the human endocannabinoid system affects the immune system. Cannabinoids, including CBN, are being examined for their possible therapeutic role in treating inflammatory disease.
- Appetite stimulant-This is one area in which CBN behaves very differently from CBD. While CBD has appetite-suppressing effects, CBN appears to stimulate the appetite. This may make CBN a therapeutic option to help increase appetite in people who struggle to maintain an appetite because of another illness, such as cancer, or its treatment.
- Cancer fighter-There’s also some promising preliminary evidence that CBN may have direct cancer-fighting capabilities. Cannabinoids including CBN are being studied for their ability to slow or stop the growth and spread of cancer cells. CBN was one of several cannabinoids found to reduce tumor size in one form of lung cancer.
- Anti-convulsant- One of the most promising therapeutic uses for CBD is in epilepsy treatment, because of this cannabinoid’s strong anti-convulsant capabilities. Though it appears to be less strong than in CBD and THC, CBN has also been shown to function as an anticonvulsant.
- Bone healing and growth-Research indicates cannabinoids including CBN can help to stimulate the production of new bone, by activating stem cells to help make new bone cells. There are also indications that CBN and other cannabinoids may be helpful in healing fractured bone and helping reverse bone loss, making it of interest to scientists as a potential therapy for osteoporosis
- Glaucoma therapy– CBN is one of several cannabinoids that appear to be effective as a treatment for glaucoma, as several studies have shown..
OUR CBN PRODUCTS + TALKING POINTS
- CBN + CBD tincture contains 300mg of CBN and 300mg of CBD.
- Each full dropper contains 10mg of CBD & 10mg of CBD (1:1)
- The CBD aspect of the tincture is full spectrum and contains less than .3% THC
- Users of this unique tincture say it provides restful sleep, relief, and relaxation.
- Consider the sleep-promoting potential of CBN combined with the power of cannabidiol.